Sunday 20 January 2013

Moments to remember...

My little boy amazed me this evening... I mean he is amazing, and constantly surprises me, but this was a big 'oh' moment.

We are spending a lot of time talking about 'little brother or little sister'. And once again this evening getting ready for sleep we were chatting about whether he wants a little sister like A or a little brother like T (both children he sees pretty regularly). He responded he wanted a sister S (his cousin) and once again I started the conversation with him about how not all families are built like ours, and that 'little brother or little sister' would be living with someone else because their birth mummy and daddy couldn't look after them

And he responded

'they'll have a mummy P.... (his birth mother's name)'

And we I built on that, all the while going, 'wow, wow, he's starting to get it' inside.

We often talk a basically about adoption, and about why he's in care, and about his birth mother. He often appears not to be listening, or taking it in, or just changes the topic (as 3 year old's do). But apparently he is taking it in. I need to get on with that life story book!

And in other news... we saw a social worker this week; our social worker. She scared me, by mentioning that it will not take long to update PAR, and that we could be looking at a child been placed this year; by which I mean academic year. We could (could note) have a child placed by September!

9 comments:

Emily said...

I can't wait to see if it will be a brother or sister for boy O! How very exciting. You keep up your good talks/ information and it will sink in. I had an email from my adoption certifier asking if we are interested in adopting a 5 year old boy. Like right now. The timing isn't right but it sort of amazes me that since we are certified and ready to go that a child could be ours.

Demeter said...

We had a conversation with L about you also having a second child. I tried to explain that not all families are made by growing a baby in your tummy.
Her response was that "so sometimes you grow one and sometimes, it is like Dumbo and you get one brought and your mummy looks after you just the same?"

So what I think my daughter is saying is that you are a crazy elephant :)

Rebecca said...

Hi from ICLW. That is wonderful news.

jAllen said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, it is so awesome that you started this dialogue with your son. Their comprehension is amazing.

Lisa said...

Hi from ICLW #39. Exciting news for all of you!

the boy's behaviour said...

I'm so excited for you!

Oh, and thanks for stopping by and linking up to the Weekly Adoption Shout-Out #WASO

Unknown said...

In my experience they are always listening. Exciting times for you ahead, again. Look forward to hearing more.

Thanks for the link up with the Weekly Adoption Shout Out.

Megan said...

I love seeing how little ones' brains work in action! So cute.

DrSpouse said...

Well that's exciting! and, though probably it would be different for us (as we'd have to move agency), scary!